*This is an additional episode of Aamy’s Baking Diaries*
Parts of this post was written on 15 December 2021
Read the other episodes:
Hey guys! Today, I’ll be making…Gingerbread! I am so excited about this!
Lez get started
I actually always thought that gingerbread was hard to make, but I never realized that all the ingredients were basic. Here are the ingredients:
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature 🧈
- 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar 🟫
- 2/3 cup unsulphured molasses (melted jaggery)
- 1 large egg 🥚
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 🌾
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 🧂 (pretend that emoji is baking soda 😅)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 🧂 (And…uh..that’s salt)
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Now, to the recipe 🕊
In a large bowl, use the hand mixer to beat the butter for a minute, until it’s creamy. Add the sugar and molasses and beat on medium speed until its turned creamy. After that, beat in the egg and vanilla at high speed for about 2 minutes.
In another bowl, using the hand mixer, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
Now, mix in all the wet ingredients at a low speed. The dough would be thick and sticky-ish. Divide the dough in half and place each piece on a plastic wrap. Wrap it tightly and press it, to create a disc. Chill the dough for about 3 hours to 3 days. It’s better if you chill it overnight, but if you’re impatient like me you can chill it for 3 hours :).
Three hours later
Okay, now, take out a few cookie cutters and roll the dough on a floured table, and cut the dough.
Put it on a baking bowl (or whatever it’s called) with a baking sheet on it and bake it at a preheated oven at 350°F (177°C)
Bake it for 9-10 minutes. Check the cookie every 4 minutes.
After you’re done decorate it with sprinkles and icing.
- 1 cup icing sugar (because normal sugar would not stay firm)
- 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream or light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Now, mix it up slowly with a spoon. Add colours if you want.
And decorate your gingerbread 😃
If you wanna see my gingerbread, stay tuned and once I’m done with my Christmas To-Do List, I’ll show it to you!
Thanks for visiting!
Peace out 😎